Sunday, March 24, 2013

Everyone's Throwing Up Peace Signs: An Interview with MMOSS


MMOSS is a dreamy psychedelic rock band from New Hampshire. Their latest album, Only Children, is available on their bandcamp. I asked a few members some questions right after their show at Brooklyn’s Knitting Factory. Luke is the guitarist. Rachel is the organist, flutist, and singer. Keven is the drummer.

Hello everybody.
Luke: Yo. Whaddap.
When did you first know you wanted to play an instrument?
Rachel: Nine years old. We had the option in school for band.
What instrument?
R: Flute.
Keven: The first time I ever heard Link Wray, I wanted to play guitar.
How old were you?
K: I was probably twelve years old.
L: Yo. Thirteen, listenin’ to a little Deep Purple, wanted to rip it up on the bass, you know what I mean?
What does it mean to play a “good show”?
R: It means when it’s over, you feel happy.
K: I think it means that everyone communicates.
R: Has a conversation.
K: And everyone’s throwing up peace signs.
L: Yep.
 What is good art?
K:  Good art is anything that makes anyone uncomfortable.
R: Anything that holds my attention.
L: Agreed.
Do you have any advice for young artists?
R: No.
K: Stop trying to imitate other artists’ work and start trying to imitate other artists’ lives.
R: Yo, I got one. Just do it.
K: Yo, Nike.
L: Don’t worry about anything. Just do what you wanna do, you know what I mean?
Is there anything else you wanna get off your chests?
R: Just do it! If you wanna do it, just do it. Nike.
K: I have one thing to say. In my opinion, the Everly Brothers are the best band that’s ever lived. That’s it.
L: Yo, this [your] high school rocks.
(To Luke) Why weren’t you smiling when you performed?
L: I wasn’t smiling?
I didn’t see you smile at all.
L: Really?
Yeah.
L:  Well, I guess there’s, uh…some things going on right now. That’s it. That’s why I wasn’t smiling.
 (To Rachel) I saw you emoting.
R: Oh, really? I’m always emoting.
Top photo by Briana Raucci.

No comments:

Post a Comment